Introducing the new TriSpin steady, made in Ken’s workshop in Shropshire by Dan and Ken Garner, UK for lathes of swing diameter 305mm to 405mm.
*All units currently include upgraded high quality star knobs instead of the pictured wing nuts
These contraptions are generally known as ‘steady rests’or just ‘steadies’. ‘Spin steady’ sounds appropriate too.
For a video demonstration please click here.
The TriSpin is great for hollowing projects and spindles. It makes turning more stable and safer. In combination with a chuck, it greatly reduces the chance of your hollowing project leaving the jaws. When turning a long spindle, it greatly reduces the wobble you’ll get when applying pressure towards the centre of a long or thin spindle.
There is good demand for the TriSpin with turners who appreciate our premium design. As such the design has progressed to beautiful European oak for all the benefits of its strength, durability and appearance.
The TriSpin has been engineered to have class leading stability and as such has some unique design features:
- For stability and compactness, all the wheels are central within the device.
- The shape, an equilateral triangle, ensures very high strength by placing each member in tension in line with the strongest orientation of Oak (in line with the grain)
- When the wheels are positioned at the full 240mm turning diameter, they neatly tuck into the corners of the triangle.
- Halving joints and steel bolts give exceptional shear strength in the corners.
- The wheels contain Abec 3 or greater sealed bearings, rated for very high velocities without wobble. The wheels are of a selected hardness to keep noise low and prevent marking of your work piece.
- By providing one model which suits most lathes, if you change lathes, you can continue to use the TriSpin, and we can benefit from economies of scale and bring you a lower price.
Now supplied fully assembled. Just take it out the box and attach it to your lathe!
Included in packaging:
1 x fully assembled TriSpin, 2 x 25mm deep spacer blocks (use as required for your lathe’s swing), 1 x simple universal lathe attachment assembly (requires a space between lathe bed’s bars).
For lathe suitability please have a look here.